Tuesday, December 27, 2011

from the hedgerow

Thus far it has been a mild winter and the diminutive popcorn-like buds of the winter honeysuckle ( Lonicera fragrantissima ...notice how this one gets 'fragrance' in it's name!) are popping open 2 months early. One little shrub will waft across an open expanse and hook your olfactory nerve endings before you get a complete thought in your head. It's on the tip of my tongue to go ahead and declare I prefer this one over the rampant viney one that opens later in spring and engulfs trees and sheds (not a complaint out of my mouth) but to be fair I should wait until I have them both at my nose.

This little one blooming now is a mannerly shrub although I do notice the birds have spread it around nicely, at least in this corner of the world; Piedmont NC. In fact, everything about this one is more mannerly...may I say 'well-bred' ? It lacks the backnote of 'cream' which lends its viney cousin a sultry, if not wanton scent nor does it stoop to exuding and dripping  its nectar by the drop onto your tongue.

 It's too high class for subterfuge; It carries the clear note of muguet.


(I stand a good chance of being two-faced later in the spring 
when the viney one opens)
                                                                                  

2 comments: